Making adjustments in Social Media Strategy-
How to deal with the changes to the Facebook Algorithm for those in the hospitality industry.
Did you hear the news? Facebook is changing their newsfeed algorithm again and this time it means big changes for businesses and brands. On January 11, Mark Zuckerberg announced that Facebook would be prioritizing content from “friends, family and groups.”
“As we roll this out,” Zuckerberg wrote, “You’ll see less public content like posts from businesses, brands, and media. And the public content you see more will be held to the same standard—it should encourage meaningful interactions between people.”
We have been looking at what this change for “meaningful interactions” means for our clients and our digital marketing strategies. The OptiRev marketing team has come up with some information for our clients about how we plan to handle this shift.
8 Ways to ReThink About Social Media in 2018
- Post Frequency– some companies rely on just posting frequently in order to get in front of their customers on Facebook. They hoped that by posting multiple times a day, their content would be seen organically. Those days are gone, and actually have been on the way out for awhile. More than ever, Quality is going to trump Quantity!
- Customer Service Support Vehicle– Clients and customers still expect businesses to have active social media accounts. Facebook is used as a research tool when customers are making purchasing decisions and that isn’t changing. Focus on providing useful information to customers.
- Facebook is killing Referral Traffic– With the latest algorithm change Facebook is cementing a trend that has been happening for over a year. Traffic from social media to external websites has been dropping. This is why our web team has been working on improved organic search result strategies and why OptiRev introduced Google Adwords advertising last year.
- See First News Preference– Especially for clients with dedicated followers, we will be posting instructions on how your customers can continue to see posts from your page in their news feeds.
- User Generated Content– continue to brainstorm strategies and ideas that encourage guests to post about their experiences with your business. User generated content is more powerful than ever.
- Authenticity– Facebook wants to encourage longer more meaningful conversations. This means that you will see a decrease in “engagement bait” type posts that encourage people to simply like or give one word comments. For example “Comment on this post if you like Ice Cream!”.
- Advertising– Facebook is not getting rid of social media advertising. In fact these changes will likely result in an increase in businesses using social media advertising, so it is critical that you have a team who can target correctly.
- Adapt and Move On!– Digital marketing is always changing so it’s a good thing that at OptiRev we are always Optimizing. Change is nothing new, and we are ready to implement new strategies to help your business grow.
If you want to know more contact us and we can talk to you about how your business can benefit from social media marketing.